What is Eagle Nation on Parade?
Presented by Georgia Southern University, Eagle Nation On Parade is a PUBLIC ART PROJECT that salutes the University’s traditions, celebrates the unity of campus and community, contributes to the economic vitality and quality of life in Statesboro, and supports student scholarships and research.
Imagine a flock of larger-than-life 6′ x 5′ x 4” fiberglass eagle sculptures – designed and created by artists– on long-term public display for viewing and interactive events. Though the form of each sculpture will remain the same, each eagle will have a unique design. Designed by Georgia Southern sculpture professor Marc Moulton, the fiberglass eagle form is in landing position, perched on a chiseled rock.
Here’s How it Works
- Eagle Nation on Parade is modeled after other successful community art projects, such as Chicago’s Cows on Parade, Sandy Springs’ Town Turtles and Hawaii’s Geckos in Paradise.
- Using an original design created by the Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art’s own sculpture professor Marc Moulton and student Daniel Todd, 50 five-foot-tall fiberglass eagles will be manufactured and delivered to Georgia Southern’s campus.
- Georgia artists will submit design proposals, specific to the Commissioned Sponsors’ needs, for these larger-than-life fiberglass eagle sculptures. Selected artists will pick up their eagle, magically transform the blank sculpture into an original work of art, then migrate with their eagle artwork back to the ‘Boro for their official Eagle Nation unveiling.
Then the Parade Begins
- Maps of the eagles’ parade route will be distributed to Statesboro’s Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, Georgia Southern University, and other popular locations in the community.
- Tourists will follow a ‘Flight Path’ through Bulloch County to see Eagle Nation on Parade, stay the weekend to Splash in the ‘Boro, eat in our fine restaurants, shop in our stores, take in a play at the Averitt Center for the Arts, and dream in the comfort of our hotels.
- Visitors will continue to return when their interest is sparked as new eagles are revealed in the coming years.
- Prospective students and their parents will appreciate the community’s support of Georgia Southern and are even more motivated to select Georgia Southern as their school.